Sunday, September 11, 2011

BEST MAC AND CHEESE EVER!!!! (and it's healthy too!)


I love macaroni and cheese.  I think I could honestly eat it every single day.

So, you can imagine how thrilled I was to discover a much healthier version of the classic that is prepared a little differently.  Basically, in this recipe, you cook the pasta in milk instead of water.  As you are cooking, some of the milk cooks out and the starch released by the pasta helps thicken the sauce, without using cream or other sources of fat.


Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Servings: While the initial recipe I based my recipe off of said 4 servings, my sister and I finished this off... so between 2-4 servings :)

1/2 tbsp butter (this prevents milk from burning on the bottom of the pan)
2 cups of whole wheat pasta, uncooked
2 cups of skim milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (If you are feeling creative, try other cheeses!)
salt and pepper to taste, plus any other seasonings you like

In a saucepan, add all of your ingredients except for the cheese.  Bring it to a simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking together.  Once the mixture has begun to simmer, turn the heat down to low, but continue stirring often.  Continue cooking and stirring for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the pasta is cooked through and the milk has cooked down.  At this point, turn off the heat and add your cheese.  Continue mixing until all of the cheese melts, and then you are ready to serve!!

Nutrition: (assuming 4 servings)
Note: I used full fat sharp cheddar, but reduced fat cheese works well too, which would reduce calories, fat, and saturated fat.
Calories: 300
Fat: 10 g
Sat. Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 17 g

No comments:

Post a Comment