Sunday, September 30, 2012

Green Challenge #2 Results and Microwave Pancakes

Hello again! This upcoming week I start the 30-day Project Green Challenge, and I am very excited for that journey!

This past week I collected my garbage (well, most of it) to see what I was throwing away and how much I was. During the week, I generated about one small garbage can worth of trash that weighed about 8 lbs. Most of it was food related, some food and lots of food packaging that is not recyclable. Some culprits were granola bar wrappers, yogurt containers (since we can only recycle plastics #1 and #2).  Unfortunately, I don't really have the option of composting at this point in my life, but I would love to in the future, and that would help with some of the food waste. A few of the other things include kleenex and dental floss. I am sort of happy since I threw away about one pound of garbage each day, which is much less than the national average of 4.4 lbs a day. However, I would like to cut this number down significantly, since at the rate of one pound of garbage per day, I will create 365 lbs per year, and 3,650 lbs by the time I am 30. Eww. That is a lot of garbage and lot to ask of Mother Nature.

In other news, I made pancakes for the first time in the microwave. They were surprisingly amazing and my room smelled like pancakes! :)  Basically, make pancake batter like you normally would, and then put it on a greased, microwave safe plate. Microwave for 90 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave and how big you make it. The pancakes were not as fluffy, but just as delicious as regular pancakes and much easier clean up! Perhaps this will be my new midnight snack!

Happy almost October!

No comments:

Post a Comment