Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I'm Back and Quick Updates!

Hello everyone! I am currently in Miyajima, Japan, and have already watched the sunrise and climbed up and down a mountain this morning by 9 am. This never happens, especially since my night owl tendencies cause me to sleep in until later in the day. I am realizing I won't be able to blog as much as I thought during the trip to maximize my actual travel experience, since each day has been packed with greatness! This post will be quick since I am waiting for a shower, but I will share two paragraphs I typed up two days ago in response to my first night with my homestay family, which included two of the sweetest women ever, a mother and her 25 year old daughter. I will also include just a few photographs!

Yanai:

With the children's Taiko group! They were wonderful!
 With my host mom and her daughter on top of the mountain!
At a bridal kimono shop!

Miyajima:


Wow. That is truly all I can say after my first day in Yanai. I am completely stunned, blown away, inspired, have so much respect, feel so lucky to have this opportunity to be here and to be in contact with all of these wonderful people, and my smile muscles are definitely getting a workout! It’s honestly feeling like I am so full of happiness and love that I might explode. Each day goes through different highs and lows and fast-paced wonder, especially when, in reality, we have no idea what is about to hit us next. Even though we have spent four days in Japan so far and it still feels like the beginning, it also feels like I have been here forever. I definitely realize how with travel, and especially meaningful travel like this, whenever you visit somewhere, you leave part of yourself in that destination, but then take a part of where you visited back with you. I truly feel this way already, with Japan as a whole, but already with Hiroshima and Yanai.

So far from this trip, I have already learned a lot about language. On the surface level, I have learned significantly more Japanese than I knew before, which was none, well, except maybe Konichiwa. Now I am constantly saying many of the important phrases we have learned, such as ohayo gozaimasu (good morning), superachi (wonderful), oishi desu (it’s delicious), watashiwa Sarah desu (I’m Sarah), nani desuka? (what is that?), and most importantly, arigatou gozaimasu (thank you!). I have learned even more about non-verbal communication, such as the importance of bowing, but also using other strategies to understand one another, such as pointing or acting things out. Perhaps the most significant thing about language that I have learned is that at the end of the day, an understanding of the language is not necessary to begin to understand the beauty of a culture, or a kindness of the people. Even though words make it easier to communicate, I have still found such a wonderful warmth and sense of peace from the Japanese people I have interacted with, whether it is for an extended period of time or even for a brief second in passing. I love these people, and I love this culture. Japan is honestly incredible.

Look forward to talking to you all more later! Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment