Tuesday, March 20, 2012

10 Body Resolutions

http://www.simplycam.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/beyoutiful.jpg

When we tend to think of resolutions, many of our minds flashback to January, perhaps proud of our accomplishments, humored or disappointed by failing to keep our resolutions, or perhaps skeptical or annoyed by the whole spectacle.

But why do we tend to think of resolutions as a one time event each year, when, in reality, every day, and even every moment can be the chance to start something new?

Here is an excellent list of resolutions to help develop positive body image starting right now!  I received this list at a Body Image workshop I attended a few weeks ago and decided to share them!

  1. Twice a day, every day, I will ask myself: What do I really gain from preoccupation with what I believe are defects in my weight and shape?
  2. I will think of three reasons why my assumption that thinner people are happier and “better” is untrue. I will repeat these to myself whenever I feel the urge to compare my body shape with that of another person.
  3. I will spend less and less time in front of mirrors of any type and focus more on how I feel on the inside.
  4. I will exercise for the joy of feeling my body move and function effectively.
  5. I will not avoid activities I enjoy, even if they call attention to my weight and shape. I will constantly remind myself that I deserve to do things I enjoy (e.g., dancing, swimming, sunbathing) no matter what my shape!
  6. I will refuse to wear clothes that are uncomfortable or that I dislike, simply because they divert attention from my weight or shape.
  7. On my own, or with the help of loved ones, I will list 5-10 good qualities I have, such as empathy, intelligence, or creativity. I will repeat these to myself whenever I veer toward negative thoughts.
  8. I will practice taking people in general, and women in particular, seriously for what they say, feel, and do – not for how slender, or “put-together” they appear.
  9. I will develop activities and relationships that enrich my self-concept, thereby making it less likely that my self-esteem will revolve around feelings about my appearance.
  10. I will give my body what it really needs, including moderate exercise, healthful foods, sensual pleasures, and relaxation, and my body will respond by treating me better."
Love you all!  Best of luck with everything in the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment