Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Key Lime Pie


It is clear that the weather this past year has been unseasonably warm.  Throughout the winter, I kept telling myself that the worst was coming, and that I should brace myself and keep my winter clothing ready just in case.  However, now that it is almost April, I feel as though it is safe to say this mysterious cold front we had been anticipating is not going to come.  And, to embrace the delightful-summer-like Spring weather, why not make a Key Lime Pie?

Makes 1 pie

1 graham cracker pie crust (homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup key lime juice
3 eggs
1- 14 oz can light sweetened condensed milk
1 pinch of cream of tarter

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Separate 2 of the eggs, putting the whites and yolks in separate bowls.
3. Add the remaining egg to the yolks, along with the lime juice and sweetened condensed milk.  Whisk until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites and cream of  tarter, ideally, until stiff, but since I don't have a mixer, until it gets bubbly and sort of fluffy.
5. Mix the yolk and egg white mixtures together and pour combined filling into crust.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the pie is set.
7. Let your pie cool, and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment