Monday, March 19, 2012

World Water Day 2012

It's time to mark your calendars, because Thursday, March 22 is World Water Day 2012!



Each year, World Water Day has a particular theme, and this year focuses on Water and Food Security.

While I definitely try to watch my water consumption, I was amazed to find out just how much water is used in the production of other goods.  A few facts that shocked me were that it takes 37 gallons of water to make a cup of coffee, 49 gallons to make a bag of chips, and 400 gallons to grow cotton for a t-shirt!  So much water!!!

Here is a graphic I found from the Nature Conservancy that I also found shocking.



Perhaps as you go about your daily life, you can think about some of these "hidden" uses of water, as I know I will be thinking about this in the days to come.

I encourage you to learn more about World Water Day by checking out this site.

You can also check out this awesome World Water animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment