Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 3:Venice

After the Barcelona post being ridiculously long, I have learned my lesson and will break each city in the 5 city tour into 2 separate posts! When I was just going through my photos of Venice, there were 84 that I want to share! So, yay for multiple posts!

As we were leaving Barcelona, I knew it was going to be difficult for Venice to top the fun things we saw and the experiences we had.  Still, I was so excited to be going to a 3rd country, Italy! For my whole life, I have always put Italy on the top of my lists of countries I would like to visit, and that goal was about to come true!  We touched down in Venice after a short flight, and then we were on our way.

Immediately, reality set in, as we realized that we had no idea how to actually get to our hostel, and that we didn't speak Italian. Somehow we managed to get tickets for a waterbus that took us to  the appropriate island/stop, and then we ventured over lots of bridges and lots of twists and turns. I think it was the crabbiest I was the whole trip, since it was very very hot, especially in jeans and a long sleeve top, and I was getting so tired bringing the suitcase up and down the stairs on every single bridge without having any idea of where we were. However, somehow we made it and were surprised that our "hostel" was actually more of a little apartment, so that was nice. The downside was that there was no internet, but we somehow made do and had an amazing trip with our limited knowledge, map provided by the hostel, and a few documents I had saved on the desktop of my computer!

Our first stop upon arriving in Venice was eating pizza!! We went to a place that was recommended by the person who ran the hostel and it was so great! We had basically not really eaten all day with the exception of something small at breakfast, so it was basically glorious when these giant pizzas were delivered to our table! I ordered a pizza with spinach and parmesan, and it was out of this world! I love how Italian pizza has such a thin crust (think almost like a tortilla!), and it just tasted so fresh!

All of the travel guides I had saved on my desktop advised us to "get lost", so that is exactly what we did! We definitely saw some cool things!
While this post is nowhere near as long as Barcelona's, click "read more" to see the rest!



One of the infamous bridges I was talking about earlier as we were trekking through the city!


I loved how the street signs looked and also that there was a curtain with sheep or horses, I can't really tell. Venice was very difficult for me to navigate (thank goodness for Kelley!), so I am appreciative that there were giant signs to help out!






Spoiler alert: There will be a copy of the above picture in my Day 4 post, except in the daylight! Sorry the lamps look like fireballs!
Elle and I in San Marco Square!

Stay tuned for Day 4 in Venice, which is when we saw lots of cool stuff! Have a beautiful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment