Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lessons Learned and Thoughts from Study Abroad

My time in Granada and later on the 10 day adventure really taught me a lot which I hope to carry with me in the future. In no particular order, here are some of the lessons I have learned.
1. Pack light, regardless of how long your trip is! Never again do I want to lug around a giant suitcase.
2. Spanish is really such a wonderful language. It is really fun to speak and just sounds so beautiful!
3. People are really the same anywhere, regardless of the language they speak or the country where they come from. We met some really nice locals and had experiences that totally mirrored people we know in the US or experiences we have had here. So cool!
4. Company is a lot more important than the destination. I am pretty sure that Kelley and Elle and I would have had a blast wherever we went, and it makes me look forward to future travel with family and friends!
5. Air conditioning is a huge luxury. So much of the world, including the developed world, lives without it, so it is silly to complain about the heat, and I will never do it again!
6. I think the US should have fewer cars and more bakeries or ice cream shops. :)
7. I kind of want to open an Eco Bed and Breakfast!
8. I think my travel style can't really handle fancy arrangements, or pricey hotels and restaurants. I don't need to stay in a nice place, and absolutely love eating cheap meals at the grocery store. I would rather spend my money visiting all of the cool places than cooped up in a fancy hotel.
9. It was amazing how quickly Carmen, my host mom, and I bonded, proving once again that family doesn't have to be biological!
10. We are spoiled in the US to only have to know one language. We consider it a huge asset for resumés, etc when we know a second language. In Europe, especially areas that are more touristy, even more basic, low-paying jobs are expected to know multiple languages, for people, like us, who visited Italy without knowing anything in Italian.
11. Language is so fascinating, and I seriously want to learn many more languages!
12. I can't wait to continue traveling worldwide with every chance I get!
13. I look forward to learning so much more about all of the places we have visited in a historical context.
14. Planning trips isn't as difficult as I thought prior to studying abroad!
15. My experience was awesome, but home is definitely where the heart is!

Scroll down if you have not yet had the chance to watch part 2 of the video with Rome and Madrid pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment