Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 4: Venice!

Sorry about the delay... I went camping the past two days!

Day 4 of our 10 day adventure was full of wonderful things in Venezia, or "Venice" in Italian. It is crazy to me that every language gives cities and countries different names of cities, countries, etc. It gets kind of confusing, and I think it would be better if the host country/city used their own language to identify it at a worldwide level.

In the morning, we woke up early to walk to the main square, San Marco square to beat the crowds for the Basilica! These are pictures from our work to the square.


The ambulances! Fortunately, we did not need to use them!
There was already a line for the Basilica when we arrived, but we were lucky enough to wait in the shade and take in the beautiful scenery of the Doge's Palace!
These masks are very common in Venice, and there was a booth in San Marco square.
I think this might be out of order, but thought it was a very triumphant statue!
You can see the line, but more importantly the Campanile, which is the epic tower we went to the top of after visiting St. Mark's Basilica! It was gorgeous, but we couldn't take pictures inside. Therefore, I have included an online image of the outside and inside!

Now we are at the top of the Camponile tower! I love all of the red roofs of the cities!



After the Camponile, we toured the Doge's Palace! It was so beautiful and vast! This is a picture from one of the famous bridges of the Palace.
This is of one of the prisons in the basement/dungeons in the palace... kind of cool and also eerie. I wonder who spent time down here?
I don't know why these pictures are out of order, but they are some of the smaller details from the vast San Marco Square early in the morning.



From the door of the Basilica...

Outside the palace courtyard... not quite sure what it says but it is definitely unique!
The "golden ceiling" in part of the palace
A view of the palace courtyard
So, pictures weren't allowed in many of the rooms in the palace, and I followed the rules in every single room, except for this one, because it was soooo great! I loved how the walls were covered with maps and there were these giant globes in the center. I just took one and had to share it! Perhaps this is what my apartment or house will look like in the future! :)
Pictures were prohibited once again, so this is from the internet, but it is the largest, free-standing (as in no columns or pillars) room in Europe (this is only half of it)!  The walls and ceiling were so pretty, I almost felt like I was in something as famous as the Sistine Chapel! (we can talk about that in Rome)

We visited a museum full of old artillery.
Another part of the dungeon/prisons.
Here is a view of the famous bridge we were inside earlier!

After all of this sightseeing, it was time for a snack! We walked past a delightful bakery and all got a cannollo ("cannoli"). It was incredibly yummy!


As we were walking, we saw this delightful sight! No, it was not posed.
Elle drew an adorable picture of us on the paper placemat at the place we ate dinner!



More out of order pictures from the Camponile tower!


Next, we happened upon this adorable bookshop! This is what the "docks" or places to park your boat would look like. Perhaps you can see the black sign that says "fire exit" and shows a picture of someone swimming?
Just thought it was cool to have a popular American author with an Italian title.
The inside of bookstore!

And there was a cute cat outside of the bookstore!
Nom nom nom mail!
I haven't really mentioned it, but today we managed to eat gelato not 1, not 2, but 3 times! I think it was the best choice ever. I mean, how could a day of eating gelato 3 times possibly go wrong?  Especially when you go to the Boutique del Gelato, and order the chocolate mousse flavor. It was so DELICIOUS!!!
There is more to post from this wonderful day, but I am a little sleepy and this post is already plenty long! To be continued... :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty upset that you didn't get me a mask, I mean obviously that's exactly what I wanted! Next time, next time.

    ReplyDelete