Monday, May 28, 2012

La Alhambra Part 1

On Sunday, our group had the opportunity to visit La Alhamba, and it was one of the most, if not the most, beautiful thing I have ever seen!  And it was build in the 1300s!!  It was so beautiful that I perhaps went a little overboard on pictures!  I took 367!  My friend Kelley joked that I was recreating Google Earth! :)  Once again, I will let the pictures tell the story!
This was on the side of the path we were walking on to get to the palace.  I figure it is definitely a bench fit for a sultan! (although he would have had a throne and summer palace as well...)
I have an obsession with pictures with mountains in the background!  And I love all of the white buildings!
Un jardín, one of many.



I love the dome in the background, just behind the bridge!
This is the side of the bathhouse.  Bathhouses were very important to the Muslims since they had to clean themselves before prayer, so there are many bathhouses next to places of worship.
Inside the bathhouse. 

The lion reminded me of a much smaller, but much older version of the lions in front of the Art Institute!


The circle in the center is the first visual representation of a spherical Earth. Before this, all representations depicted that the Earth was flat.
So beautiful!  It extended all around us in a perfect circle, which was inside the square building.  It is very common in Islamic architecture.

Jennifer, me, Elle, and Kelley



A distant view of El Albicín, which I first discovered in a tour from a few days ago!
I can't believe that it is in such great shape!  The detail is still very clear!

And that is it for part 1!  There will be another post for tomorrow, since these pictures aren't even the best parts!  Get excited!  Besos y abrazos!


No comments:

Post a Comment