Friday, May 25, 2012

Orientacíon Day 1!

Buenos días! Yesterday was our first orientation day, and it was so much fun, and it definitely helped me to get adjusted to Granada life!  In the morning, we took a Spanish placement test and attended an academic orientation about the Spanish classes we will be taking!  I am taking Spanish Composition (228), Introduction to Spanish Literary Analysis (250), and a one credit hour Spanish Art History class (399)!  I am so excited!!  We find out our class schedules on Monday.  A group of the girls in the program and I bought bocadillos for lunch, which are these delicious sandwiches on freshly baked bread that are served at bakeries.  Then, we continued to explore during the siesta time and I took many pictures!



There are so many ice cream places!!! Yum!



After exploring, we stopped back at the hostel before our Cultural Orientation meeting, where we talked about the differences in the ways of life between the US and Spain, followed by a presentation about culture shock.  I have been sneezing a lot since I have been here, and I have learned that allergies are actually a symptom of either culture shock or jet lag, so that may explain the sneezing!

At 9:30 PM, we had a delicious group dinner at a nearby restaurant!  It was a three course meal- salad with the best olive oil I have ever had, a yummy vegetable and rice stew, and a delicious chocolate dessert that I couldn't really describe, but here is a picture!
The Spanish definitely take their time with meals, since we were in the restaurant for about two and a half hours.  However, lunch tends to be in the largest meal of the day.  

More updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment