Sunday, June 17, 2012

Córdoba: Part 1

Hello!!  So, today I find myself a little bit behind on posts since life in Spain is so busy!  Currently, I am aware I still need to talk about Córdoba, which I will do in this post, but also last week, my weekend trip to Las Alpujarras (a mountain range we hiked in for over 12 hours), and then earlier today when I went to the Parque de las Ciencias in Granada!!  So, there is much to cover, and I will start now!

My weekend travels from last weekend left off with our train ride to Córdoba from Sevilla.  These are some of the pretty things we saw along the way!



 I love all of the open land!


 Elle and I on the train!

Once we arrived in Córdoba, we fell in love with this fountain near the train station (and played in it!)

On our way to our hostel!

Our first stop in Córdoba was the Mezquita!  This gorgeous mosque was completed in 987 (over 1,000 years ago!!)  At first we were a little confused, since we could only see signs for the Catedral, but it turns out that the building has been converted to a church.  My señora told me that when the Christians took over control of the Mosque, starting in the 1500s, they destroyed much of the original decorations and architecture, and replaced it with Christian decoration and art.  Therefore, much of the interior is not as old.  Also, this Catedral offers mass services every morning, but unfortunately does not allow any Muslims to worship here. 



 Some of the following are very ornate side rooms outside the main cathedral part that it is famous for.




 This is part of the outside of the Mezquita!  It was huge!
As I may have mentioned before, my señora is actually from Córdoba, so she and her son had lots to recommend to us! One of which was this place that makes giant Tortilla Españolas! Basically, this is a delicious dish made out of eggs, potatoes, and onion! We all had slices and ate them along the side of the Mezquita!




A real moat! Just no more water...

The rest will come in Córdoba: Part 2, which will be written later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment