Monday, June 25, 2012

Parque de las Ciencias

Before I begin... I am very much aware that I am behind on posts! However, I am getting very close to being caught up! Yay! Anyway, this is from last Sunday...

Hola!  Following the 12 hour hiking adventure in the Alpujarra Mountains, many students in the program were sure to get lots of sleep on Sunday.  However, my friends Kelley, Elle, Bethany, and I had other plans! We met up at 9:30 am to stop by a bakery to grab breakfast and headed to the Parque de las Ciencias, which was open on Sundays from 10 until 3.  And, there were so many amazing exhibits to see, we literally stayed until 2:59! Check out some of the epicness that is the science park in Granada:

I thought this was cool, since it shows that Illinois is still dark while it is light out in Spain!

 This station was awesome, since you could push the button for a city anywhere in the world and hear some basic words spoken in that language!!
 It really was a science "park", since there were lots of different buildings and exhibits to visit! This was in the center of the park.
 This was a fun little train you could power with your arms. Once again, a group of 19 and 20 year olds are proving our maturity!
 Next, we went up to the tower to get a great panoramic view of Granada! This photo shows the apartment buildings where I live, and where a lot of other people in my study abroad program live.
 This photo shows some nearby open land that is so green and beautiful!! One thing I miss about Illinois is all of the grass, there is definitely not as much in Granada.
These are some more historic sites, with the Alhambra Palace (top) and the Catedral (below)!


Me on top of the tower!

 Now we are in the butterfly garden! Lots of pretty butterflies, although it was super humid!
 Lunchtime! I think the coloring on these butterflies are crazy, with the eye and leaf camouflage!
 Loved this pic!
I loved how there were so many nature exhibits! 


 No big deal, just an awesome owl! However, I was kind of sad because they had a couple big birds, such as a hawk and vulture, tied to these pedestals.  When the hawk tried to fly at one point, it literally broke my heart since it couldn't go anywhere, so I had to leave.
EPIC CHAIR!

In the safety exhibit, Kelley tried on this suit and, for the first time thus far in our friendship, she consented to me giving her a hug!! We had Elle take a photo of this momentous day! As those of you who know me are aware, I really, REALLY love hugs, so that is why I was so excited! 

 At this point, Elle and Kelley went into the human body exhibit, but I get grossed out easily, so I explored in the Underwater Art exhibit and the Arabs in Andalucia exhibit, which was especially cool!!

Also, there were a couple great quotes in the Arabic exhibit:

"Todas las tierras, en su diversidad, son una, y los hombres todos son vecinos y hermanos." al-Zubaydi
This means that all of the diverse lands or regions of the world are one, and that all people are neighbors and brothers. So beautiful!

"Para comprender una civilación, hay que amarla." Titus Burckhardt
This means that to understand a civilization, you have to love it! 

I love all of these old maps!

 Once we reunited, we went to see the dinosaur exhibit, which was awesome! They also have a T-Rex there, and a few other dinosaurs!
No big deal, just a giant leg of a brontosaurus. 

I probably should have taken this picture at the beginning, but this is just some of the cool architecture of the museum!

Well, that concludes my post about the science park! We are slowly getting caught up!  I have lots to post about Ronda, Spain, which is coming tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment