Friday, June 29, 2012

Intercambios!

Woot... two posts in one day! I am on a roll!

In this post, I am going to talk about intercambios! With the intercambio program, students and really anyone who wants to can sign up to learn or practice a non-native language. These individuals are then paired up with somehow who knows the language they want to learn or practice, and the two people can meet up to practice talking to each other! While this program definitely works better for semester long programs, rather than 6 week summer programs, Kelley and I signed up anyway! I was paired with a girl named Rosa and Kelley was paired with a guy named Carlos. Both of us really like our intercambios, although it is tough to coordinate schedules to meet, especially when we are here for such a short time!  Both of them speak wonderful English, and it was awesome to get to know someone who is approximately our same age (they are both a few years older than Kelley and I).

The day after I came back from Ronda, Rosa and I were able to meet for the first time! She lives in Loja, about 45 minutes away from Granada, so I met her at the bus station and we bussed back to my house. She had a final presentation of about 15-20 minutes for her English class, so I helped her practice and work on her pronunciation. Also, it was interesting for me to learn that Spanish students don't have to give many presentations, in Spanish or any other language, while I have given lots of speeches and presentations in my academic career thus far. She did a great job, and was a lot of fun to spend time with and is a really sweet person!  She also wants to be a teacher, so we clearly hit it off well! We have also planned to stay in touch even after I return home to the US so we can keep practicing! Unfortunately, the time passed so quickly that we didn't have the chance to take a picture :(

On Tuesday, I hung out with Carlos and Kelley for another intercambio opportunity! We had a lot of fun! First, we got ice cream from Kelley and my favorite place! Then, we walked along the river to explore and ended the evening with tapas. These are pictures of Carlos and Kelley and then Kelley and I at the Palacio de Congreso of Granada!



No comments:

Post a Comment