Friday, June 29, 2012

Katie

Today was a very sad day in our family, as Katie, our beloved greyhound, passed away. Katie has been a wonderful part of our family for the past nine years, and I am still is shock that she is no longer with us and that I won't see her when I come home. While I am feeling extremely sad right now and haven't been able to stop crying yet, I know Katie had such a wonderful life with our family, full of unconditional love and joy.  She was such a beautiful dog who always made us smile and laugh!

I have so many wonderful memories of Katie. I loved watching her run around the backyard, rub up against the bushes, and sunbathe. I loved how she would go crazy when she got a new toy, or how she would always get excited when we brought bags full of anything into the house. I loved how she would jump up and down in excitement when Dad came home from work, and how she would watch out the window for him. I love how Lizzie and I would dance with her or put a blanket on her and call her a shepherd. I loved the Katie "voice".  I loved how she would sometimes wake Mom or Dad up from a nap with a loud bark directly in the face if she wanted something. I loved how sometimes we would try to protect her tail when she was wagging it really hard so it wouldn't break. I loved how she would taunt the dogs next door by running back and force along the fence while they would bark at her.  I loved her white face and white feet.  I loved how after she would drink water that she would drip it across the floor.  I loved how when she had muddy paws, she would stand there patiently and lift her paws up while we dipped them in water or wiped them off.  I loved it when she would watch tv with us, and sometimes she would be laying down awkwardly, so we would put a blanket underneath her neck as a cushion, and that would be just right. I loved how she always had to be in the lead on her walks, and if you were ahead, she would trot to catch up. I loved how when she wanted her belly rubbed or you stopped for just a second, she would tap you with her paw to remind you to keep going.  And lastly, I loved how she enjoyed stealing shoes when she wanted attention, and as she walked past you, she would give you the greatest look ever.  There are many other things I loved about her, but I feel like I should leave the list as is.

While she was alive, I intended to make Katie the star of her own music video, so last summer I captured some extra footage of her. Although I don't have much, I am thrilled to have what I do, since it is obviously too late now.  Some of the content, especially the photos, are very old. Some of the content  comes from some of the silly videos Lizzie and I made last summer. Also, the video ends with a song I wrote for a lullaby scholarship contest I participated in two years ago. While I had no intention of sharing it when I created it, I feel like it is fitting now, given the circumstances.


We love you so much Katie! My family and I were so lucky to have you in our lives, and we will miss you greatly. You will forever have a place in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah- I am a blog crasher. I have to admit I read your blog to fill in the holes in Kelley's. As you guys are traveling together --they just seem to work together. Today I saw your very sad post-your video made me cry.I know that Kelley can be there for you through this. I had to call her at school one day to tell her that the dog was horribly sick quite unexpectedly and they expected she was going to die imminently.So Kelley knows all about the intensity of these special furry friends and how bad it can hurt.I couldn't be a blog creeper and not let you know how sorry I am.Tell Kelley to put on her hazmat suit and offer up some big hugs. I know she is stingy in that dept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong, my friend. We love you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete