Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hiking in Las Alpujarras

Hello! I am finally starting to get caught up again! This past weekend, I participated in the weekend trip to the Alpujarras mountains, which was provided by our study abroad program. The Alpujarras are about an hour bus ride away, and included 12 hours of hiking over the course of two days! I have never actually climbed a mountain before, so it was quite exciting, and definitely a great workout! We ended up hiking about 15 miles total, although a lot of that was very steep.  My pictures only reflect the parts where we were stopped or on stable ground, since there was no way I was going to take out my camera in the midst of the steep cliffs and narrow pathways!
 This is a picture of our pueblo we stayed at overnight.
 This was the second pueblo we stopped at during our hike! I loved the flowers!

I just loved this funny cat, with a shoutout to one of my favorite quotes/inside jokes of all time.  "But no, the cat had to be on the table." 



Dinner (and dessert) was included in the trip, so Kelley and I were very strategic! She ordered the crepe de chocolate and I ordered the house special sampler platter of desserts, and we shared!!  One of the best decisions of the day!
 Now we are moving into day 2, which has more pictures since the slopes were a little less steep!
 This is one of the other pueblos we hiked to.
 Lizzie, this one's for you!


 On the top of the mountain!!
 Kelley looking epic. She is more adventurous than I am, so I was not about to climb over a bunch of rocks.
 Just pondering life's big questions.
Kelley, me, and Elle!



 This is Rusty, who lives near where we had our picnic lunch! He happily helped with the leftovers!
 I have never seen a sign that prohibited ice cream, but not other kinds of food.
My favorite picture from the ride home!

My Alpujarras adventure was definitely a lot of fun! It was a nice change of pace to be out on the open land with lots of plants, rather than the city center of Granada! Have a lovely day! More updates are on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment